Skip to content

According to Us

One Husband, One Wife, Five Children and Everything in Between

It feels so good to get a project done. Today I did just that. I finished my big sewing project. Oh sure, I still have a few things to make, but I got THE BIG ONE done.

What started out as an easy sewing project of making pillows for our outdoor space suddenly turned nightmare-ish when I decided to add piping to my bench cushions. Oh sure, they look pretty good now that they are done. I think especially so since I have not sewn since 8th grade Home Ec. It was a learning experience to say the least.

I was going to do this whole post about how I made them, but who am I kidding?! If you want to know how I did it, you will probably be better off researching for yourself. I am no seamstress. I am a slacker. When you put those two things together you end up with a nice first time project. Nice. Let’s just say I would have been fired if someone had paid me to do this.

On the flip side, I really did have a lot of fun. And I will share a couple of things I learned.

With no further ado, may I present to you. . . drum roll, please The Bench cushions:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When I was cutting out the pieces I realised that I cut one side to short. I panicked. Before I ran out to the store to buy more fabric, I decided that I could be creative and fix it another way. I cut the back piece (which was too short in length) down the middle, attached velcro so that I could remove the cover (much like a zipper), and sew on fabric at each end that was to short. I was pleased with the results,

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The other thing that stumped me was how to sew all the pieces together. I made a smaller mock pillow for practice. That helped me decide to sew all the side pieces together like pictured above. Then I sewed this to the top and bottom of the cushion. It was a lot of heavy fabric to handle

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So (no pun intended) now that I am done with that, all I have left on the outside is a pillow for the hammock (with no piping) and a dog pillow for Daphne. I also am going to recover a couple of chairs I bought with outdoor fabric. Spring if definitely in the air!

Advertisements

%d bloggers like this: